Subscribe

Recent Posts

Thursday, May 13, 2010

Someone Get This Girl A Writing Job! Wednesday

Except it's Thursday--I know!  But I was BUSY yesterday (shall blog on extricating freshman-boy out of dorm-room tomorrow). 

"Someone Get This Girl A Writing Job!" is going to become a regular feature on You Must Take Your Chance (apparently the home of extremely long, cumbersome titles), and I like the alliteration of Writing and Wednesday so I'm aiming for Wednesday's.  If "life" sticks its nosy head into Wednesday however it may appear on another day such as today's inaugural edition.

          alliteration n.  The repetition of the same sounds, usu. consonants,
          esp. at the beginning of words, as in "on scrolls of silver snowy sentences"
          (Hart Crane).

So obviously "someone" is "me", and me has to get a writing job because that's what I love to do. That's what I'm good at. That's the kind of people I want to hang-out (work) with. And that's the way I want to spend my time while I'm getting money thrown at me as I do it!

It's my dream. 

It took me a long time to realize my dream.  I always envied my friends who knew what they wanted right out of the blocks at the Here's The Rest Of Your Life race immediately following high-school graduation.  I rather floated through college, unfocused and unmotivated.  It was sad-ish, but I just couldn't conjure my dream out of my life at that time (no matter how many beers I had!).  Don't feel sorry for me--I loved Washington State University and I left Pullman with a degree in Political Science.  My years at WSU were not a waste ....... 

......still it wasn't until my mid-thirties when my dream finally came a-knockin'.  When I opened the door it took me a little while to recognize it, but when I did, I welcomed it with open arms and have been "entertaining" it ever since.  Yay!  But now I'm almost forty-nine!!  Time to W-R-I-T-E!!!!!!  My future-self is waiting.
Almost as a gift, I've recently stumbled upon a supremely well-written, supremely inspirational, supremely "human" blog; yes about writing, but more about life.  I asked Julie Roads of "Writing Roads" for her permission to reference her today and to link to one of her recent posts.  It offers a profound perspective.  Thank-you Julie for graciously sharing and for introducing us to our future-selves: Do Unto Yourself, Would'ja? A Lesson In Decision Making
*****

I plan to document my progress in the job-hunt on "Someone Get This Girl A Writing Job!"  It could arguably be more interesting/motivating for me than for you.  If you choose to skip it each week, I won't blame you.  But if you've been "entertaining" a dream for far too long too ......why don't you join me??  We can cheer each other on.  We can push each other when we get tired.  And we can remind one another when the dream (as it will) becomes (momentarily) elusive.  If you want to take this journey with me, write and tell me your story, ok? 

MY GOALS FOR NEXT WEEK
1.  Begin gathering and writing "samples" for Writing Portfolio--aim for 20 samples by the end of the month.
2.   Tweak and refine resume to have it ready at a moment's notice--keep it to one-page and accompany it with well-written, relevant, memorable cover letters.
3.  Contact all writing "persons" I know and tell them I'm pursuing a writing position--"Have any ideas?"

*****
I find inspiration every day at Writing Roads ....thank-you again Julie!  You're the best!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment